Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 27, 2014 07:59:29 AM
Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Hamster House Forums  |  General  |  Hamster Chat (Moderators: Noelani, Moderator, CEB, Ano, spottedcatfish, nikki1005)  |  Topic: Do my Hamsters have mites? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do my Hamsters have mites?  (Read 1255 times)
JimmyS1985
Baby Hamster

« on: Oct 6, 2009 11:02:21 PM »

I have 2 hamsters, use to have 3 but the mom died and I noticed she had a small bug crawling on her. I figured it would correct itself, well she died, but its a few months later and now both hamsters have these small bugs crawling over them.

I havent tried solving the problem til now, because the bugs are making me and my mom itch all over, we have red spots appearing that itch (not quite as bad as a mosquito bite, but its still annoying)

Ive moved them out to the basement instead of the family room, and started giving them a mite powder added to there food, but I wasnt sure how  much to give them since I am unsure of a hamsters weight. (says 1/8th of a teaspoon for a 1/4 pound animal)

It says I need to give them an 8 hour supply of food and keep adding the powder to there food and moistening, for several days I assume. I cleaned there cages with bleach not too long ago, but the mites are still really bad. After holding the hamsters on my yellow shirt I can see the little bugs crawling on my clothes.

They are the size of specs, the bigger ones the size of the tip of a needle and the smaller ones barely visible to the human eye if not for its movement.

I assume these are mites, what are they? How do I get rid of them?

ANd going to the vet is not an option, I would rather get rid of the hamsters than pay for a visit to the vet. If we dont fix this soon, Im getting rid of the hamsters and starting a new (after a thorough disinfecting of their cages)

BTW, Ive probably owned a 100 hamsters, in part thanks to there amazing ability to breed, but this is the first time Ive ever seen these small round bugs crawling on them.
IzzedezzI
Golden Hamster

... and now you see the pink dancing elephant...

« Reply #1 on: Oct 6, 2009 11:21:12 PM »

I won't get into how much your attitude sucks right now, but if you go to the vet it should only be like $10 for mite treatment.  I've never had to pay more than that before.

Izzedezzi. Izza Dezzi. It's a Dezzi. Get it?
-Ali-
Celebrity Hamster

Live like you're dying.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 6, 2009 11:35:37 PM »

^That.

-Dogs-
Sandy, Ripley, Loretta

-Rabbit-
Diva

-Leopard Gecko-
Fred

-Sulcata Tortoise-
Pee Wee Herman

-Turkey-
Cuddles

-Goats-
Thalia (due to kid in Jan!)
Popcorn
Playful
Bellini

-Cats-
Vystrašený
Kočka
JimmyS1985
Baby Hamster

« Reply #3 on: Oct 6, 2009 11:47:24 PM »

were thinking of giving them to someone with a pet snake if we dont fix this mite problem. Id hate to have to do that to the little guys, but I really need a cheaper option than sending them to the vet.
rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7, 2009 08:56:20 AM »

This post is probably going to be SO female dogy.

DO NOT GIVE THEM TO A SNAKE! Any INTELLIGENT snake owner would NOT take an animal that has mites, since their snake can get those EXACT same mites.

You want a cheap fix? Don't get pets. Don't have children. Don't buy ANYTHING that depends on you to keep it alive. THAT is your cheap fix.

You want to keep the hamsters? Take them to the vet. Or go to the vet and buy a tube of Revolution. Costs $10. That's pretty cheap IMO. Still not cheap enough? Get a job, then.

If these bugs are making you itch, they are NOT just hamster mites. If you've brought any new furniture into the house or anything, it could be lice or anything. If you are itching, good chance you got bugs and gave them to the hamsters. Rodent mites and lice DO NOT transfer to humans.

I'm so tired of seeing irresponsible children AND their parents get animals that depend on them to live, breathe, survive. And these people dumping them when it gets tough. I really hope your parents didn't do that to you when you were sick. Or if you'd gotten lice from school or something.

I really hope you don't get animals after these hamsters. Especially since you obviously are letting them breed willy nilly, since you said you've had over a hundred due to them breeding. Learn to sex a hamster and keep them separate.

JimmyS1985
Baby Hamster

« Reply #5 on: Oct 7, 2009 12:29:06 PM »

Yea well I havent had any mites in the 16 years Ive owned hamsters, so giving them to my schools snake would solve the problem if I started with new hamsters and disinfected the cages and I wouldnt have to spend $10 per hamster getting them treated for mites, when I could buy brand new younger hamsters for the same price.

And I know its not lice, cuz were itching on our skin, not our hair.

If it makes you feel any better, I might drive them up to our local park and let them go.

You know, Im not feeling to welcome on your forum, just because I might not have the financial means for vet bills. My family likes pets, but if its cheaper to replace the pet with a new one then pay for a vet bill, we will do it. We once had a 9 year old dog, it was going to cost $3000 to fix her back problem that left her back legs immobile. My mom decided to spend $250 for a new dog, and put the one with the back problem to sleep than spend $3000 on a dog that probably wasnt going to live much longer anyways.

Atleast if I gave it to the snake, it would die a quick death, and Im not even sure if rodent mites would live on a snake since there is no fur.

And I havent bread hamsters in the last 12 years of owning them.
rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #6 on: Oct 7, 2009 01:46:05 PM »

No. Rodent mites will transfer to the snake, and then it will be your school's problem. And they'll know it was your idiocy that caused it.

Letting them go will be them dying. Hamsters are not meant to live in the climate you likely live in. They do not know how to defend themselves from predators. And will be snatched up quickly.

Lice are not just in hair, there are body lice. Called scabies. Look it up, the internet is amazing.

I feel sorry for any pet you are going to own, as its OBVIOUSLY not going to get proper care.

By the way, a tube of Revolution costs $10. It will be about 6 treatments. Meaning it'd treat the two hamsters you own, plus treat them again if you needed it later.

Instead you'd rather not take responsibility for something that is your fault anyhow.

Also, I hope you're a troll. You said you've owned hamsters for 16 years, then 12 years. Make up your mind. I really pray sometimes that kids these days aren't as ignorant as I see on the internet and with my own eyes. But generally... my prayers go unanswered.

I'm done answering on this thread, because your last post made me think, "Troll." But I felt I should answer since I answered before.
Bea
Golden Hamster

Hahaha! You so funny!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 7, 2009 02:56:48 PM »

Pets aren't objects, which is what you're treating them as pretty much. Just so you know, I've had severe mite infestations with five hamsters at once and treatment still only cost ten to twenty dollars. And yes, snakes can get rodent mites. Letting them go at a park won't solve the problem either, they'll survive for a few days at most. If you want to get rid of them, fine, but don't get new pets if you can't even afford a ten dollar mite treatment. I really, REALLY hope you're a troll and you're just trying to piss off the members here.

Aui, Lillie, and Samson <3 <3 <3
BubbleTea
Teddybear Hamster

« Reply #8 on: Oct 7, 2009 03:05:36 PM »

For the hamsters sake, here's an excerpt from Hamsterific:

THE HOMEMADE ANTI-MITE RECIPE FOR HAMSTERS!
Thanks to Hamsterite Ellischia for this one!

1 pint of room temperature water
1 Tablespoon of Witchhazel
1 Tablespoon of Listerine (not flavored)
TREATMENT PROCEDURE:
Apply the solution to the mite infected hamster externally with a washcloth or put the solution in a spray bottle and lightly spray the hamster while being careful to protect the eyes, nose and mouth. After you treat the hamster it is important to clean your hamster's cage and accessories thoroughly, change the bedding and spray the solution lightly in the cage and on the hamster's toys and accessories.

Witchhazel can often be found in grocery stores but is more commonly found at your local drug store.

http://www.hamsterific.com/
_Jeni_
Golden Hamster

I used to not finish sentences, but now I

« Reply #9 on: Oct 7, 2009 03:53:05 PM »

Pets aren't objects, which is what you're treating them as pretty much. Just so you know, I've had severe mite infestations with five hamsters at once and treatment still only cost ten to twenty dollars. And yes, snakes can get rodent mites. Letting them go at a park won't solve the problem either, they'll survive for a few days at most. If you want to get rid of them, fine, but don't get new pets if you can't even afford a ten dollar mite treatment. I really, REALLY hope you're a troll and you're just trying to piss off the members here.
^This. Because giving them away to be eaten by some snake is 100% 0 responsibility and treating your hamsters like crap.

Almi
The Almighty Hamster

Pwn.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 7, 2009 10:09:14 PM »

^^ I've never had that work, and I'm not sure how many species of mites it would work on.  It doesn't say anything about it, either.

Use Seven powder, either 5 Seven or 7 Seven.  Just dust the hamsters once and that should be enough.  Avoid their eyes, ears, etc.

That's really sad to me that all animals are to you are an item, a piece of property to be bought, and that their life is worth less to you than $10.  Really.  And when you think about it, after all is said and done, you spend much more on a pet with upkeep and vet bills than what you pay for it initially.  I'll be paying more for my dog's neuter than what I paid for him...but whatever, it's not like he's part of my family or anything.

JimmyS1985
Baby Hamster

« Reply #11 on: Oct 7, 2009 11:05:14 PM »

Look Im already doing everything for under $10 that I can to get rid of the mites, jeez if I had known I was gonna get flamed on the hamster forum so bad for not knowing how to handle my mite problem than I never would of gone here seeking advice on how to stop it.

ANyways Im looking for cheap methods to get rid of mites, Im thinking of trying newspaper instead of shavings, to deny mites a home since Ive read that works and is cheap, but Im also worried about the hamsters eating the newspaper and possibly getting poisoned.

The only reason I might want these hamsters over a new set is they atleast know not to pee in my hand anymore, but they dont get along well and if I dont keep them in seperate cages, one will gnaw the others face off.

Ive only taken a hamster to the vet once, it was cuz her mom ripped open her side and her intestines were falling out, and the vet was gonna charge me $50 to fix my broken hamster, and it died on the operating table anyways, and that cost $30, I could of bought like 4 or 5 new hamsters in 1998 dollars for that much ontop of having it put to sleep!

THis is what I tell all my pets, there best asset in life, is good health.

And besides Ive probably spent more on hamsters than any of you, once I had one get loose in my car, gnaw the wiring to the ECU to my car, and that cost $800 to fix. I refer to that1 as my $800 hamster (also one of my favorites, his name was Mr.Bear)
IzzedezzI
Golden Hamster

... and now you see the pink dancing elephant...

« Reply #12 on: Oct 8, 2009 01:54:18 AM »

First off, how the hell did it get loose IN YOUR CAR and really, $800 on a hamster?   rolleyes  I've probably spent that much on cages alone.  You're talking to people who've spent thousands of dollars on their hamsters, easily. 

Hamsters are solitary, so of course they'd need to be kept apart.

Newspaper is safe to use as the ink is soy-based (double check with the print company if you're not sure) but the downside is it can and probably will discolour your ham's fur.  As well, you'd have to change it quite often as it doesn't absorb urine very well at all.  I don't see how this would get rid of mites, anyways.  If they're on your hamsters, they have a home.

We're not flaming you for wanting an inexpensive method to get rid of mites, we're flaming you for your attitude towards your pets.  Your hamster was "broken"?  WTF is it, a robot?  It wasn't broken, it had been attacked (which is your own fault for keeping solitary animals together) and yea surgery can be expensive.  However, going to the vet, finding out what's on your hams, and getting treatment for it isn't.  Besides, what good will getting "new" hamsters do?  If you don't know for sure they're mites (which it really doesn't sound like it is) then what good is treating it like it is?  If whatever they have is actually FROM YOU, then "new" hamsters won't solve the problem.  How would you feel if you got food poisoning from food your mom made and your parents decided they didn't want to spend the money on you, so they fed you to a snake?  It's not your fault, but you have to die because it's too expensive?  That's pretty *********ed up and that's the attitude you're getting flamed for.

Izzedezzi. Izza Dezzi. It's a Dezzi. Get it?
rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #13 on: Oct 8, 2009 07:56:27 AM »

I just spent $100 to get my dog spayed. (Way cheap price, I was excited.). Then she had an allergic reaction. I spent another $75 getting her treated and feeling better. As well as an e-collar I'm sure she won't use, because she's a butthead. I'm going out today to buy a couple yards of fabric to make her new blankets and some treats.

I paid NOTHING for this dog. She was a FREE MUTT. I buy her a raw diet, blankets, towels, treats, toys, proper vet care, anything she needs or wants. She has numerous leashed and collars and clothes. Just because I like to spoil this DOG I GOT FOR FREE.

I could have bought a hundred more dogs at this point with the money spent on her. Some money wasted because she hated the food, treats, whatever. And never used it.

But I haven't bought more dogs. Because this one is part of my family. I love her, and since I told someone that yes, I'd take a free puppy, I take responsibility.

Assuming you have a car, you are at least 16. At this age, you have to have some sense of responsibility. You've been in school for awhile... So you have to have some modicum of intelligent. Just a minute amount. But enough to know that what you're saying is utter rubbish.

I'm not sure if it's the way you were raised, or you really are just a callous, heartless bastard, but you need to rethink your priorities.

By getting a pet, you are taking something's LIFE, and saying, "I will care for you. I will love you. I will make you a valued part of my family. And in return, you will make me smile, laugh, and probably cry sometime in the future. But no matter what happens, I will care for you."

You have THAT responsibility when purchasing, rescueing, finding, or h\whatever means of getting a pet are.

Unfortunately, there are people like you out there. Hey, bud, there's this spiffy thing called a vasectomy. It's like neutering for people. I'm not sure if you know what neutering is, since I doubt you've bothered to do the right thing by any of your other pets. But I digress, check out the vasectomy. Sounds like you'll need one. Because god forbid you have a child that ever gets sick. You can just throw those out, too, right? Because it was free to make once in the first place. :]

I'm tired of threads by ignorant people like this. Pets are NOT disposable. The people on this forum are very good people. All of us spend A LOT of money on our pets. Because they are family. You need to get a sense of that.

-p.s. Sorry to anyone thinking I'm a horrible person. But in light of recent events, I cannot FATHOM how any one person could let a pet just... go, die, be eaten. Simply because it was ill.
japg
Genius Hamster

« Reply #14 on: Oct 8, 2009 11:43:33 AM »

Look Im already doing everything for under $10 that I can to get rid of the mites, jeez if I had known I was gonna get flamed on the hamster forum so bad for not knowing how to handle my mite problem than I never would of gone here seeking advice on how to stop it.

ANyways Im looking for cheap methods to get rid of mites, Im thinking of trying newspaper instead of shavings, to deny mites a home since Ive read that works and is cheap, but Im also worried about the hamsters eating the newspaper and possibly getting poisoned.

The only reason I might want these hamsters over a new set is they atleast know not to pee in my hand anymore, but they dont get along well and if I dont keep them in seperate cages, one will gnaw the others face off.

Ive only taken a hamster to the vet once, it was cuz her mom ripped open her side and her intestines were falling out, and the vet was gonna charge me $50 to fix my broken hamster, and it died on the operating table anyways, and that cost $30, I could of bought like 4 or 5 new hamsters in 1998 dollars for that much ontop of having it put to sleep!

THis is what I tell all my pets, there best asset in life, is good health.

And besides Ive probably spent more on hamsters than any of you, once I had one get loose in my car, gnaw the wiring to the ECU to my car, and that cost $800 to fix. I refer to that1 as my $800 hamster (also one of my favorites, his name was Mr.Bear)

lol
you're a cute troll.
clever.. and i got a chuckle out of it xD
_Jeni_
Golden Hamster

I used to not finish sentences, but now I

« Reply #15 on: Oct 8, 2009 05:39:43 PM »

lol
you're a cute troll.
Seriously. But if this is for real then I seriously have an issue with it.

rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #16 on: Oct 9, 2009 03:42:02 PM »

I'm assuming it's a troll just because of the lack of facts that make sense. :P

But honestly, you never know. Some people really are stupid. Plus, people who post something like this first post are trolls.
Pages: [1] Print 
Hamster House Forums  |  General  |  Hamster Chat (Moderators: Noelani, Moderator, CEB, Ano, spottedcatfish, nikki1005)  |  Topic: Do my Hamsters have mites? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length