Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014 08:30:55 PM
Home | Help | Search | Login | Register

Hamster House Forums  |  General  |  Other Pets (Moderators: Noelani, Moderator, CEB, Ano, spottedcatfish, nikki1005)  |  Topic: Rat's Strange Bald Spot.. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rat's Strange Bald Spot..  (Read 1244 times)
MeekoSeeko
Baby Hamster

It's elementary, my dear Watson.

« on: Jan 7, 2010 01:29:02 AM »

My 3 year old rat Otacon has a bald spot thing. I noticed it a few weeks ago, it was just a spot on his hip where the hair was a little thinner than the rest. As time passed I noticed the hair thinning out there more and more, and now this spot is almost completely bald.

I've done a lot of research on balding spots and most cases seem to be over grooming by either the rat or their cage mate. I can't see any sores or bleeding from it, but when it or the area surrounding it is touched Otacon makes a sort of high squeak that usually indicates shes in pain.

Random facts that may or may not matter:
~Otacon has always had far coarser/less softer fur than Zelda
~Zelda is often trying to pin Otacon down to nibble on him, like some animals do to scratch or clean others
~Otacon usually puts up a fight when Zelda tries to clean/nibble her by squeaking and pushing, so either her cleaning/nibbling hurts or she just likes being dirty
~Otacon is an older rat, and I have read that older rats can have bald patches
~I see no other balding patches anywhere

I cant think of anything else currently, if I do I'll post them. I did manage to take a picture just now, but not very good quality because A, she never sits still and B, my camera sucks with macro.

I'll link it since it is pretty big. Link to the picture.

If you know anything or have any advice it will be appreciated. Even if its just to tell me I have nothing to worry about it will at least help put my mind at ease. Thank you<3

rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #1 on: Jan 7, 2010 11:16:34 AM »

It's a bad pic, but it looks more irritated than just old rat balding. It almost looks like pyo. It's definitely not barbering. That's basically just a rat trimming his hair. Can you get a better pic? A vet trip may be in order.
MeekoSeeko
Baby Hamster

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7, 2010 12:20:10 PM »

Sorry about the picture. Whenever I get the camera anywhere near her she has to sniff it and try and eat it ect xD But I will get a better one asap!

Plus, I'm starting to think she may be a rex and rex's do lose hair when they get older. I'm hoping thats all it is!
Almi
The Almighty Hamster

Pwn.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9, 2010 01:35:43 AM »

The skin doesn't look normal to me, either.  Here's my rex rat Juno's bald spots for comparison...skin looks normal, smooth, pinkish/whitish, just no fur there.

And a pic I took right after that does her a bit more justice X3:

Both ratties are about two years old.  I think Juno's balding is partially due to her age + rex coat, and also partially due to Piper being the slightly more dominant one and grooming her a bit too much there...which is usually the case.  But I think in thise case it might be a medical thing. tongue

rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #4 on: Jan 9, 2010 11:01:41 AM »

Thank you Almi for that picture. That is exactly what normal balding in an older rexed rat looks like. The skin shouldn't look irritted or red at all, the skin should be unmarred, though sometimes a bit dry depending on the rat. Males tend to get dry skin moreso than girls.

If it loks irritated or raw, there's likely a problem.
MeekoSeeko
Baby Hamster

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2010 06:23:03 PM »

Well, I gave Otacon a bath yesterday (which she absolutely HATED xD) and got to look at it a little better. The skin looks normal except for a few random dots. The dots vary from pink to almost black. So the more I look at it the more it does look like a skin irritation :/

The strange thing is that it seems like the furs growing back o.O Ive been taking (crappy) pictures of the spot almost every day for a while now and it seems to be shrinking. It could just be my imagination or the angles, but I know its not getting any worse.

Im hoping the bath and new bedding helps. If it doesnt go away or gets ANY worse, I plan to take her to a vet immediately.

Thanks for the pictures, they helped immensely~
pepsi
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2010 06:34:45 PM »

This might be useless right now but it might be allergies or a stress causing the fur loss. He might also have been in a little fight with another animal but I don't think it would look like that. Anyways what's important is he is doing much better now, praying for the little one to heal fast.
MeekoSeeko
Baby Hamster

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2010 11:12:29 PM »

I have some bad news. The spot seemed to be getting better little by little, but today when I took him out of his cage to play the spot had grown immensely. Overnight it had grown to almost twice its size, and it now has more, and larger strange colored spots and it just does not look good at all.

I'm taking him into a vet as soon as I can get in. This is worrying me so much, Otacon is already almost 4 years old and I don't know what I'd do if anything serious was wrong with him  cry

I'll post on here what it is as soon as I get the official diagnosis from the vet which unfortunately may not be for a few days. Please pray for him or think about him, do whatever you can, I love my little guy as much as I would my own kids. Thank you.
rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2010 10:30:49 AM »

I really hope it's something simple like mites. But I honestly think it looks a lot like pyo... Which CAN be treated, don't let them tell you it can't. Let me give you some links.

Now remember, these cases were extreme, and had to start somewhere. Bu this is pyoderma.
http://ratguide.com/health/figures/pyoderma_figure_4.php
http://ratguide.com/health/figures/pyoderma_figure_5.php

And here's some more personal views at dealing with pyoderma. Remember, most vets have no clue what this is. It's usually treated with well over a months worth of abs (Baytril generlly), and metacam for pain.

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4058082.0
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat/topic,4007562.30

If it isn't that, I have urine scald in mind. You said he's almost 4?! I rarely hear of rats making it that old, so I'm imaging if it's a he especially, that he has hind end degeneration, nd his legs aren't working well? Does he lay in his pee spots often? Does the area smell? If so, you may want to look into fleece liners, a one level cageand frequent cleaning. With any open wound like this you're going to have to scour the cage every day. Clean everything, wipe everything down, make sure it's sanitary.

Good luck, keep us posted.
MeekoSeeko
Baby Hamster

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2010 04:38:42 PM »

I hope so too. Oh my goodness, that looks absoutely terrible. I hope my poor Otacon doesn't have it :(
Well, so far his spot isnt bloody or raw looking like in those pictures. It just looks odd. But thats still a possibility. Thank you for the info :]

And yes, Otacon is about 3 years, 8 months old. None of my other rats have made it this old, but then again, none of my past rats have been fighters like my two now. You would never know they were that old from looking at them play. And oh, its a she. I just always call her a he because shes named after a guy and always seemed more like a boy than a girl.

(S)he doesnt run as fast as Zelda, or ever really run, but I always thought it was just because (s)he was way calmer than her. Now that you mention it though, he does kind of wobble..

Not so much with the pee spots, i've caught him laying in it maybe once or twice, but ive caught the others doing it too. And my mom is working on getting some fleece for the cage, it looks better on their little feet. And will do! Thanks for the help :)

The vet appointment is in an hour, I'm setting up his little carrying cage as we speak. A blanket, box, treats. I Dont want to stress him out too bad. Wish me luck!
rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2010 06:21:26 PM »

Good luck! Keep us posted.

And for future reference, you can always take both rats to the vet. That way the one being seen has abuddy.
MeekoSeeko
Baby Hamster

« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2010 08:20:57 PM »

Just got back from the vet.. Unfortunately, the hair loss is because of a tumor growing rapidly. It was hard to notice because it spread itself all around her leg, attaching itself to that area. If we wanted them to remove the tumor they would have to amputate her leg, and with her already almost 4 years old, we have decided to just let her live normally until she is in pain. Then we'll have to get her put to sleep. The reason the skin looked irritated there was because Zelda, Otacons cage mate, has been trying to remove the tumor for her by biting and licking it. I was touched when I found that out. Every time we tried to stop Zelda from attacking that spot she was just trying to help Otacon. Ah, crap, I'm crying now.  cry

Thanks to everyone who tried to help and have kept her in your thoughts. Shes an amazing rat and I'll miss her when shes gone. I do have one more thing I need help with though. I don't really even want to think about another rat taking Otacon's place, but Zelda is a very social rat and I don't want her to have to suffer being all alone. Should I try and introduce a third rat for Zelda before or after Otacon passes? I don't want Zelda to be lonely but I don't know how much longer Otacon has. Any advice?
pepsi
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2010 09:25:11 PM »

I am SO sorry.  cry

I think wait until later to introduce a new rat. It might cause stress for Otacon? Not sure. I'm not good at this but maybe try researching a little on it or just wait for more people to post.

Zelda sounds like a very sweet rat and Otacon also, remember that and take good care of them both and treasure the times with Otacon.
Once again, I'm sorry.  sad
rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2010 10:02:17 PM »

It's funny you mention this, because I was just talking to someone else about it. I think you should try to introduce another single rat or another pair of rats now. If Otacon is seeming mostly herself and you think she can handle it, try now. It's REALLY hard on rats when they're cagemate dies, and even worse when they're left alone. Especially if you know your Zelda is a social rat. Def. try now. earch for rescues in your area that take in rats. They may let you take a pair home on a trial basis if you tell them what is going on, and make sure they intro well to your other rats. Def. look up intro techniques beforehand.

I'm really sorry about Otacon. It sucks when they get things like that later in life. My advice is lots of cuddles, and make her comfy until she decide it's time to go. Try to keep Zelda from pulling at the tumor. If there's  way for you to wrap it, do that. You may want to start her on antibiotics if the area looks infected or inflamed to prevent infection. And at her age, antibiotics can do nothing but help. As soon as you notice her in pain, and with the location, eventually there will be pain, call your vet for meds. Metacam is a good one.

You're a fantastic owner, and 4 years is such an impressive age. You're both lucky to have each other. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
MeekoSeeko
Baby Hamster

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2010 03:08:26 AM »

Thank you for the kind words, guys. I'm having a lot of people tell me shes "just a rat" and that "its not like youve had her your whole life so you cant be THAT attached". My rats are my family, and people need to be less close minded(not the right word, but you get what I mean)

As for the new rat(s), I'm thinking I will start looking now, which will probably take a while anyways, and introduce them as soon as I find one that catches my attention. Otacon acts normal, still curious about everything and eating(well, attempting) everything in sight. So I don't think she would mind. But if I see any sign of her becoming stressed with the new rats, I have another cage I can transfer the new ones to temporarily. Do rats in groups of 3 ever get singled out? I'm not sure if rats pair up or not.

Again, thank you so much for the support. It means a lot to me.
rattiessix
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2010 04:28:09 PM »

Sometimes rats pair up and prefer other rats, just like people. The reason I reccommend a pair, if Zelda is older, you'll be stuck in this position again, with 2 rats and one older. So keeping them in a trio may reduce that stress.

People are pretty heartless about rats. I have 18 currently. :P Whenever one passed, my vet is one of the few sympathetic people.
LovelyRoses123
Dwarf Hamster

♥ Life ♥

« Reply #16 on: Feb 2, 2010 11:02:14 PM »

hah it looks so cute like a hamster  rolleyes i love your pet!

If you look at the things you have in life, You'll always have more.

If you look at what you don't have, You'll never have enough.
pepsi
Black Bear Hamster

« Reply #17 on: Feb 3, 2010 11:58:15 AM »

hah it looks so cute like a hamster  rolleyes i love your pet!

Instead of just browsing posts and commenting the pictures, try reading it. She is talking about her rat being sick and you go randomly commenting how cute he is and bring back an older thread.  rolleyes
Pages: [1] Print 
Hamster House Forums  |  General  |  Other Pets (Moderators: Noelani, Moderator, CEB, Ano, spottedcatfish, nikki1005)  |  Topic: Rat's Strange Bald Spot.. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length